Considering Byron Center Public Schools?

Thank you for considering Byron Center Public Schools for the education of your child(ren). On behalf of our 4,000 plus student population, our staff and our Board of Education, we welcome you and your family. We invite you to learn more about the educational opportunities at Byron Center Public Schools. From Early Childhood programs to college-level Advanced Placement classes, our goal is to graduate caring, educated adults with extraordinary involvement from parents, and an exceptional staff committed to the success of each student. 

How to Enroll Your Child

The initial step is to complete the online New Student Registration Form using the appropriate link below.

2021-2022 -

Note: Once your New Student Registration has been successfully submitted you may only make changes to your information by contacting Byron Center Public Schools directly.

Before your registration is complete, you must bring the following documents into the Byron Center Public Schools Administration Office:

We cannot finish registering your child without having all the documentation listed below in our possession.

  1. Two (2) Proofs of Residency in the  Byron Center School District as follows:
    One of the following:

    - Current Lease Agreement (including the page with the landlord and tenant signatures)
    - Mortgage Statement (within last month)
    - City Assessor’s Tax Statement (current year)
    AND, one:
    - current utility bill (within last month)

  2. Copy of your child’s vaccination record.
    PDF DocumentClick here for information current state-required vaccinations.

  3. Driver's License of Parent/Guardian.

  4. The child’s state-certified Birth Certificate
    External Link If born in Kent County, click here for information on ordering online

  5. Court Documents if applicable (Guardianship, Foster Care, etc.)

If you reside with a Byron Center resident in a home/apartment/mobile home, you will need to provide the following:

- Notarized Affidavit of Residence (Form available at the District Services Office.)
- Owner’s driver's license and two (2) proofs of their residence as listed above
- If parent/student names are not listed on the lease, a Statement of Landlord form is required. (Form is available at Administration Offices.)

High School students must bring a transcript of credits earned
Students entering seventh through twelfth grade will also meet with a school counselor to set up class schedules, etc. before entering school.

It is very important that the emergency phone numbers and contacts be current in the event that a parent/legal guardian cannot be reached.  In addition to accident or injury, it is important to have a designated person or network available for your child in cases of early school closings or inclement weather.  If your child has a medical condition i.e., diabetes, epilepsy, asthma, acute allergies (food, insect bites, animals), or physical disability, please inform the teacher or school secretary to ensure a safe and healthy school environment.

To finalize your child's enrollment, the parent/legal guardian can bring the required documents to the District Services Office, 8542 Byron Center Ave SW. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 3:30pm. **PLEASE NOTE** - The parent or legal guardian must be present to enroll the student. If a legal guardian, court documentation must be provided at the time of enrollment.

Questions on enrollment call 616.878.6100.

Other miscellaneous forms:
Request for Special Dietary Needs Accommodations

Administering Medicines to Students

Schools of Choice

Thank you for your interest in our Schools of Choice program, which is for students who live outside our district. The application window for the Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice plan and 105C programsis closed for the 2021-2022 school year. Please check back in April 2022 for applications for the 2022-2023 school year.

BCPS has two Schools of Choice plans:

  • The Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice plan is for students who live within a school district in Kent County, including Caledonia, Cedar Springs, Comstock Park, EGR, Forest Hills, Godfrey Lee, Godwin Heights, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kelloggsville, Kenowa Hills, Kent City, Kentwood, Lowell, Northview, Rockford, Sparta, Thornapple Kellogg, and Wyoming.
  • The 105c plan is only for students who live in a contiguous intermediate school district outside Kent Intermediate School District including Allegan Barry, Ionia, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, & Ottawa Area ISDs.

Applicants who have a sibling attending Byron Center Public Schools may be given priority, as it is in the best interest of children to keep their siblings in the same district. A district may refuse to enroll an applicant who has been suspended, expelled or convicted of a felony. We do not guarantee placement at a specific elementary school. Transportation is not provided under either plan

Be Involved
Our schools are successful because students and parents get involved in their school. Students are encouraged to participate in areas of interest such as clubs, sports, and the arts to round out their academic educational experience. Parents are encouraged to be involved in their child's school by attending parent/teacher conferences, participating as a volunteer, being active in the school PTO, and going to school events. Our district is strong because of the effort that our students, parents, and community make to be involved in our schools.