Byron Center High School offers Driver Education Segment 1 and Segment 2 classes to district residents. Segment 1 classes are offered in June and July and cost $305.00. Segment 2 classes are offered in November/December and March and cost $55.00. Students need to be at least 14 years and 8 months old to take Segment 1 Driver Education. Dates are scheduled on the BCHS calendar. Contact Patty Horvath at email@example.com for more information.
The Byron Center Board of Education, in compliance with the State of Michigan, has instituted the following criteria for taking Driver Education at Byron Center High School:
- The student must either reside in the Byron Center School District or be a student at Byron Center Middle School or Byron Center High School.
- The student must be in attendance at school with less than 12 absences in the semester prior to taking the course.
- The student cannot fail mroe than two classes in the previous semester.
- The student must be at least 14 years 8 months prior to the start of the course.
Segment 1 Course Provisions
Instructional classes are from 9:00-11:00 am or 11:00am -1:00 pm every weekday for the first 12 days. Students must attend every class, for a total of 24 hours of instructional time. In addition to the instructional time, students are required to have a total of 6 hours of driving time in which 2 hours will be range time. Driving and range time will be scheduled and assigned by the driving instructor. The last 3 days of each session are reserved for driving times. For summer planning, plan the entire 3 weeks including the Fridays of each week. Drive times may also be scheduled on a Saturday.
Segment 2 Course Provisions
Instructional classes are from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm or 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm for 3 days. Students must attend all 3 classes and have at least an 80% passing grade. Segment 2 classroom materials are included in the registration fee.
Terms and Requirements for taking Driver Education at BCHS
- The student must be at least 14 years and 8 months of age by the first scheduled day of class. Home school students must present birth certificate. (Students enrolled in public or private schools have a birth certificate on file, and do not have to present it again).
- The parent or guardian agrees to pay the amount of $305.00 for Segment 1 and $55.00 for Segment 2. Payment must be paid in full upon enrollment.
- A student must have a passing score of 75% for both the course and the STATE TEST (this is above the requirement of 70%)
- The cost of materials and supplies for the class is included in the enrollment fee.
- In the event of a driving appointment or range cancellation a cancellation fee of $25.00 will be charged.
- Students are expected to be in class each day. In case of emergency, class make-up days must be arranged with the coordinator.
- A fee of $25 will be charged for each request of a replacement Segment One or Two Completion Certificate.
- The student and at least one parent/guardian or family partner must attend a mandatory parent meeting prior to the start of Segment 1.
- To enroll in Segment 2, verification must be received that the student has completed a minimum of 30 hours of driving (including 2 hours at night) with a licensed parent or guardian (or parent designee) on a level 1 license, which has been held for not less than 3 continuous months.
If for any reason you decide to withdraw from the course before its completion, your refund will be based on the following:
- A full refund will be issued if withdrawl is before the first day of class.
- Students who are unable to finish the class, or who do not pass the class will be allowed to repeat the class during the next class session free of charge. Arrangements must be made through the driver education coordinator.
Notice: This provider is required to be certified by the Secretary of State. If you have any complaint which you cannot settle with this provider, write: Michigan Department of State, Driver Programs Division, Lansing, MI 48918. Completion of driver education instruction does not guarantee qualification for a driver license.
IMPORTANT UP-COMING DATES
Summer Segment 1 Dates:
Registration will open after Spring Break 2019
Fall 2018 Registration Form
November 27, 28, & 29, 2018
Spring 2019 TBD