Weekly Parent News
May 14 – Seniors Last Day
May 19 – Prom
May 20 – Graduation
May 25 – Graduation Rain Date
May 31 – No School Memorial Day
Exams Half Days – released 11:05
June 9 – 1st & 2nd hour exams
June 10 – 3rd & 4th hour exams
June 11 – 5th & 6th hour exams
June 11 – Last Day of School
June 21 – Summer School Begins
Senior Honors Information
Seniors who complete their high school career with an accumulated GPA of 3.5 or higher will wear cords at graduation. Seniors who are members of National Honor Society will wear blue and gold cords. The cords will be given to the students at rehearsal and must be returned. Cords may be purchased from Mrs. Hogoboom for $8 per set. Cords may be paid for at school before the 20th or after rehearsal. Correct cash would be appreciated.
Seniors who have enlisted in the military will receive special red, white and blue cords. These are for them to keep at no cost. However, seniors need to contact Mrs. Hogoboom as to what branch they have enlisted in and who their recruiter is before Monday, May 17th to be recognized.
Senior End of Year Activities
ALL ASSIGNMENTS & ASSESSMENTS MUST BE FINISHED BY MAY 14th AT 3PM
FRIDAY, MAY 14TH: SENIORS LAST DAY
- Seniors do not need to report to BCHS classes in the morning unless they have anything outstanding and incomplete, or they are part of our AP Biology Test that morning.
- All Seniors will return to BCHS at 1:00PM with their cap and gown to the athletic parking lot. The following is the timeline for the afternoon:
- 1:00-1:35 Ice Cream Trucks in the bus loop
- 1:35-1:40 Board Busses for Elementary Walk
- 1:40-1:50 Travel to Elementary School*
- 1:50-2:10 Elementary Memories
- 2:10-2:20 Return to BCHS Band Lot
- 2:20-2:30 Senior Class Picture (Band Lot)
- 2:30-2:45 Final Building Walk through
- 2:45 Students exit out the athletic exit to their cars
*Students who did not attend BC in elementary school may attend with the friend of their choice. We are using many busses to avoid contact tracing on the busses
SUNDAY, MAY 16: STUDENT LED BACCALAUREATE (GOWNS AND STOLES WORN, NO CAPS)
- Senior, Ashley Wells has asked me to communicate the following information about the voluntary student Led Baccalaureate Service.
- TIME: May 16th at 3PM
- LOCATION: Rush Creek Bible Church
- DETAILS: BCHS senirs will be leading this service. Seniors should line up in the east hall by 2:45PM. There is open seating for anyone who is interested in attending. Masks should be worn into the church, but may be removed once seated. Seniors should wear their gowns and stoles at this event. School district employees are not involved in the planning or supervision of the baccalaureate ceremony.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 19: PROM EVENT 7PM-10PM
- This year’s Prom event is all inclusive with dinner, dessert, and entertainment. Students can show off their suits, dresses, and styles on the red carpet as they enter the Pinnacle Center in Hudsonville. Students can unmask at their tables and enjoy dinner and dessert, while Matrix Entertainment brings a variety of fun to this formal event. Tickets are $60 and are offered to seniors and their guests first, but will open up to juniors after this week. Seniors should act fast to guarantee a spot for this year’s prom event.
THURSDAY, MAY 20: GRADUATION REHEARSAL 12:30PM-2:00PM (STADIUM)
- Seniors should arrive and be in their seats on the football field by 12:30PM sharp.
- Rehearsal is mandatory for all students planning to walk at graduation.
- Some students will be receiving cords at rehearsal to wear on graduation day.
- Students should dress comfortably for the weather as this will be at the stadium.
- Caps and Gwns do not need to be worn for rehearsal.
- N high heels are allowed on the turf.
- Students will be given 4 tickets at rehearsal to give to guests.
- Students will be with walking partners, and no longer social distancing from that individual.
THURSDAY, MAY 20: GRADUATION 7PM (Contingent upon weather)
- BCHS has been working with the Kent County Health Department on creating a plan where all of our seniors can graduate together, and we can have family members attend live. This is no small task, but if we work together, we can pull this off!
- First, thank yu for your patience. This event is the most difficult graduation we have ever attempted to pull off in my 11 years at BCHS. There are many “gathering rules” we are having to abide by, but it is all worth it for our kids!
- BCTV will be live streaming this event. A link will be sent out at a later date for all those that are not able to attend.
- Due to the rule of no more than 300 people being able to intermingle, seating will be sectioned off in multiple sections. Sections will be pre-assigned to ensure that no more than 300 intermingle and that we maximize spreading out. Please note that we will not be able to maintain a full social distance in the bleachers, but we will have less than 50% capacity per the KCHD.
- Each senior will be given 4 wristbands at Graduation rehearsal with a color that designates the section of bleachers for guests. No additional tickets (wristbands) will be given out as we are at capacity.
- Guests d not have to sit in the bleachers and may choose to spread out in the stadium. However, if guests choose to sit in the bleachers, they must sit in the section designated by the color of the wristband.
- ACCOMMODATED SEATING: If 1 r more of your party needs special seating due to mobility restrictions (physically unable to climb bleachers) or in a wheelchair, please fill out the form below for us to plan accordingly.
- Gates open at 6:00PM
- Seniors should be lined up by 6:30PM on the soccer field. (Caps, Gowns, Stoles, Tassels, no high heel shoes.)
- Our senior slide show will begin playing around 6:30PM.
- Commencement Ceremonies will begin at 7PM, and should be complete around 8:45PM
- Seniors will be dismissed first and go to different locations based on their last name for packet pickup.
- Guests will be dismissed by section and given direction during dismissal.
- Seniors and guests should choose a predetermined location where to meet up after graduation for pictures.
- Rain date is Tuesday, May 25th, but let’s hope we don’t need to use the rain date!
THURSDAY, MAY 20TH, SENIOR ALL NIGHT PARTY 9:15PM
- Seniors who are attending the all night party should use the Nickels locker room to change and be on the busses by 9:15PM. (If graduation is rained out and the date is moved, the Senior All Night Party will remain on Thursday, May 20th at 9:15PM with busses leaving from Nickels.)
We are looking forward to celebrating with our seniors and sending out the class of 2021 off to impact our world in a positive way!
No Parent News
There will not be Parent News Thursday, May 20 or Thursday, May 27. End of the year Parent News will be sent on June 3.
Summer School for Credit Recovery
If students need to make up a credit they have failed, BCHS will be offering summer school at no charge. Please fill out the application and return it to the counseling office
Counseling Office Updates
Special Notice: Free To Go Meals For All BCHS & BCWMS Hybird & Virtual Learners:
Byron Center Public Schools’ Nutrition Services offers Free To-Go Meals to all learners who are learning virtually, remotely, hybrid schedule, participating in the Student Self-Quarantine, or are in quarantine/isolation due to COVID-19. Free To-Go Meals for these students are offered in compliance with the USDA and Michigan Department of Education. The USDA instituted a waiver that allows all children 18 and under to receive FREE breakfast and lunch for the entire 2020-2021 school year. The Free To-Go Meals must be ordered via the link below by Saturday, 5:00 pm, for pick up on Monday. Order each week to receive meals for the following week.
**Nutrition Services will offer Free To-Go Meals pick up on Monday, May 17, 2021.
Meals are bundled for multiple days and include breakfast and lunch (5 & 5).
All meals are complete and include milk; all items must be taken.
Order and Pick Up
- A parent or designee can pick up meals for children. Children do not have to be present for pick up. You will need to tell Nutrition Services staff the names of students receiving the meals.
- Pull up in the Byron Center High School Parking Lot Loop by the pool entrance-the most southern entrance off Burlingame Ave. A canopy should be outside the kitchen service door. Please stay in your car, and the Nutrition Services staff will assist you.
- Orders are due by 5:00 pm on SATURDAY.
- Sign up for meals by clicking on the link below.
- Order separately for each child.
**If you order meals and fail to pick them up, Nutrition Services will charge the meals to your student’s school meal account at the full price.
LINK TO ORDER FORM: Click here to fill out your student(s)’s school meal order
Where: Byron Center High School South entrance by pool
When: Time: 2:00-2:30 pm
What Day: MONDAY
How: Pull up in the Pool Parking Lot Loop. Stay in your car, and we will assist you.