Considering Byron Center Public Schools?

Thank you for considering Byron Center Public Schools for the education of your child(ren). On behalf of our 4,500 plus student population, our staff, and our Board of Education, we welcome you and your family. We invite you to learn more about the educational opportunities at Byron Center Public Schools. From Early Childhood programs to college-level Advanced Placement classes, our goal is to graduate caring, educated adults with extraordinary involvement from parents, and an exceptional staff committed to the success of each student. 

In order to enroll for school, students must be at least five-years-old by Sept. 1, 2024 to enroll in Kindergarten for 2024-25. In addition, students must be residents of our school district. If your student is not a resident of Byron Center Public Schools then please see below for "Schools of Choice“ information.

How to Enroll Your Child

The initial step is to complete the online new student registration form using the appropriate link below.

Enroll your child for the 2023-24 school year here.
Enroll your child for the 2024-25 school year here.

For more information on tuition-based Preschool, please contact the Early Childhood Center.

Note: Once your new student's  pre-registration has been successfully submitted you may only make changes to your information by contacting Byron Center Public Schools directly.

Before your registration is complete, you must bring the following documents into the Byron Center Public Schools Administration Office:

We cannot finish registering your child without having all the documentation listed below in our possession.

  1. Two (2) proofs of residency in the Byron Center School District as follows:
    One of the following:

    - current lease agreement (including the page with the landlord and tenant signatures)
    - mortgage statement (within last month)
    - city assessor’s tax statement (current year)
    AND, one:
    - current utility bill (within last month)

  2. Copy of your child’s vaccination record.
    PDF DocumentClick here for information current state-required vaccinations.

  3. Parent/Guardian's driver's license.

  4. The child’s state-certified birth certificate.
    External Link If born in Kent County, click here for information on ordering online

  5. Court documents if applicable (guardianship, foster care, etc.)

If you reside with a Byron Center resident in a home/apartment/mobile home, you will need to provide the following:

- Notarized affidavit of residence, form available at the Administration Office.
- Owner’s driver's license and two (2) proofs of their residence as listed above.
- If parent/student names are not listed on the lease, a statement of landlord form is required. (Form is available at Administration Offices.)

High School students must bring a transcript of credits earned
Students entering seventh through twelfth grade will also meet with a school counselor to set up class schedules, etc. before entering school.

It is very important that the emergency phone numbers and contacts are current in the event that a parent/legal guardian cannot be reached.  In addition to accident or injury, it is important to have a designated person or network available for your child in cases of early school closings or inclement weather.  If your child has a medical condition i.e., diabetes, epilepsy, asthma, acute allergies (food, insect bites, animals), or physical disability, please inform the teacher or school secretary to ensure a safe and healthy school environment.

To finalize your child's enrollment, the parent/legal guardian can bring the required documents to the Administration Office, 8542 Byron Center Ave SW. Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. **PLEASE NOTE** - The parent or legal guardian must be present to enroll the student. If a legal guardian, court documentation must be provided at the time of enrollment.

Schools of Choice 2024-25 School Year

Thank you for your interest in our Schools of Choice (SOC) program, which is for students who live outside of the Byron Center Public Schools district. The application window for the Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice plan will open on Monday, April 8, 2024, and close at 4:00pm on Friday, May 10, 2024.

Schools of Choice application 2024-25 school year

Applications for the 2024-25 SOC and 105c program are being accepted for up to 20 K-6th grade students, of which up to 10 spots are available for siblings of a current schools of choice student through the Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice Program or 105c. In addition, up to 10 spots are available for K-6th grade students who reside outside of the BCPS district. All spots will be based on availability at each grade level.

An application will need to be completed for each child and can be submitted via email to, or the Administration Office located at 8542 Byron Center Ave SW. Please note that the Administration Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00am - 4:00pm.

BCPS has two Schools of Choice plans:

  1. The Kent ISD Collaborative Schools of Choice plan is for students who live within a school district in Kent County, including Caledonia, Cedar Springs, Comstock Park, East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills, Godfrey Lee, Godwin Heights, Grand Rapids, Grandville, Kelloggsville, Kenowa Hills, Kent City, Kentwood, Lowell, Northview, Rockford, Sparta, Thornapple Kellogg and Wyoming.
  2. The 105c plan is only for students who live in a contiguous intermediate school district outside of the Kent Intermediate School District including Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo and Ottawa area ISDs.

Please take the following under consideration for both the SOC and 105c plan:

  • Applicants who have a sibling attending Byron Center Public Schools may be given priority, as it is in the best interest of children to keep siblings in the same school district.
  • BCPS may refuse to enroll an applicant who has been suspended, expelled or convicted of a felony.
  • BCPS does not guarantee placement at a specific elementary school.
  • Transportation is not provided under either plan.

For questions, please email or call 616.878.6100.